From The Top Auditions 2022
Yay! You want to be a part of the improvisational, musical, magical fun that is From The Top! This page has all you need to know to audition. Please read through it all carefully, then fill out the form.
About From The Top
From The Top is a musical improv troupe, a House Team at Unscrewed Theater, and a fun group of people to play and laugh with. We perform every month on the first Friday at 7:30pm (and occasionally as part of special event shows, too).
We’re looking for new members!
Are you a confident singer who’s always wanted the PERFECT role? Are you a great improviser who thinks, ‘That would be a GREAT place for a song!’ during your scenes? Are you an instrumentalist (piano, guitar, drums, beatboxing, etc.) looking to try improvisational accompaniment? Then auditioning for From The Top is for you!
Make your own perfect roles in EVERY musical. Sing when words alone will no longer do. Create the music that drives good stories. With us!
If you’re stronger in singing or stronger in improv, never fear, we work on both every week, so we’re always improving.
About the Audition
First, we’ll warm up as a group: vocal warm-ups and improv warm-ups. Then we’ll rotate everyone through small groups, which will include current members of From The Top, for a short improvised musical to get a sense of your style of play and to assess how well you fit with From The Top storytelling.
If you’ve never improvised a musical before, don’t worry. We’ll go over the specifics of the form and what to expect before beginning the audition.
Which night you audition (September 14 or September 21) will depend on the number of people auditioning. You’ll get an email from Cy confirming when you should attend.
Arrive at the theater by 7:00pm MST. Expect no longer than a two-hour commitment.
It will be a fun evening of musical improv!
The Fine Print
Below are a set of expectations for From The Top members. If you plan to audition, you must agree to them. This includes a COVID-19 vaccination requirement. All members of House Teams and all volunteers at Unscrewed Theater must have proof of vaccination (which should also indicate that the final shot of your vaccination is at least two weeks prior to the audition date) on file at Unscrewed Theater.
You are welcome to wear a mask for your audition should you feel more comfortable doing so, but know that everyone in the theater during the audition will be fully vaccinated.
“Do I have to fill out the form to audition?” If possible, yes. We would like to give everyone plenty of time to show us their best selves, so we’ve planned for two evenings of auditions. If we know you’re planning to come, we can schedule you accordingly.
Unless we end up needing call-backs (should we want to see more of you before making our decision), you will only need to attend one evening.
From The Top Expectations
- All members of Unscrewed Theater House Teams are strongly encouraged to volunteer, in some capacity, at the theater at least once per month. Most choose to volunteer during Friday or Saturday shows for front-of-house, tech, or house management shifts, but there are other opportunities that may better suit your skills and availability. Volunteering is how we pay back the theater for rehearsal space.
- Attending all rehearsals (Wednesdays at 6:30pm) is highly encouraged. However, real life is real life, and we strive to accommodate everyone’s busy schedules as best we can while aiming for the highest caliber performances through weekly rehearsals. Missing a significant number of rehearsals may result in not being cast in one or more shows.
- From The Top shows are billed as family-friendly, and kids frequently attend our performances. You are expected to perform within the constraints of language, subject matter, and situations appropriate to a family-friendly show.
- Adherence to Unscrewed Theater’s Discrimination and Harassment Prevention Policy is required.
- You must have proof of COVID-19 vaccination on file with Unscrewed Theater.
Thanks for your interest. Check back for future audition dates.